Why Heading Tags are important in SEO?
What are Header Tags?
- The header tag, more properly known as the heading elements, are a series of html elements that denote the importance of the content between them.
- You can think of it like an outline format. The H1 is the title. The H2 is any subtitles. The H3 would be for any sub-subtitles, which rarely come up in web writing. Anything beyond H3, all the way out to H6, is highly unlikely to be used.
- Header tags are incorporated into your HTML code to highlight important elements on your page for search engines.
These heading tags have two main purposes:
to inform the visitor with visible and summarized texts about the content of the following paragraphs. So they help readers better understand what they are about to read.
to indicate to search engines (Google, Bing…) the most important information included on your page (Google’s algorithm would give more importance to keywords and phrases that are contained in the titles (heading tags) than to the rest of the content)
- They are the simplest ways to divide up the content of your page into different smaller sections to make it more comprehensible.
- In HTML coding, the heading tags from h1 to h6 form a top-down hierarchy. This means that if you skip any of the tag numbers the heading structure will be broken, which is not ideal for on-page SEO.
Importance of Header Tags :
- Heading tags are important for both SEO and usability of your web page. Search engines primarily take keywords from title, content and heading tags to develop the context of a webpage.
- If you’re not aware then I must tell you that there are lots of impact happened due to Header Tags which will improve the Search engine visibility of your website.
Here are few impacts given below due to Header Tags:-
H1 tag : H1 tag is the most important heading tag on your web page and should never be skipped.Search engines generally give this tag more weight over other headings.
Enrich User Experience: Heading tags provide users a clear idea about the contents of your page. Positive user experience is highly valued by search engines and therefore, the heading tags are considered important.
Use for Internal Linking: This is good to use headings to link other pages internally.
Visibility : Using your target keyword in Header tags will improve the Search engine visibility for your target keyword.
For example: if you are writing a post on Iphone and want your post to appear on first page for keyword “Iphone” then you should use term or keyword “Iphone” in your header tags.
Relevancy factor: Search engine spiders check the relevance of your heading tags with the contents of your page.
Improve keyword rankings: Keywords used in heading tags are more likely to be ranked earlier in search engine result pages as compared to other locations on webpage.Make sure you maintain keyword consistency.
Sub-Headings : You may have multiple H2, H3, H4, H5, and H6 sub-headings.These headings should also contain important keywords and help organize your content into sections.
While headings are not a primary factor when influencing rankings, the quality of your website is. And according to Moz’s survey of Search Engine Ranking Factors 2015, page-level keyword usage features still have a very strong influence.
Every SEO, programmer, designer or copywriter should have a clear understanding of the basic fundamental tools that they can use to enhance the quality of their website – Header tags are just one of them.