Best practices to use header tags for better SEO
- Heading tags are part of the HTML coding for a Web page. Headings are defined with H1 to H6 tags.
- The H1 tag defines the most important heading on the page (usually the largest or boldest, too), whereas H6 indicates the lowest-level heading.
- Most commonly used header tags are: H1, H2 and H3. Rests are not frequently used and as per my understanding don’t have much value in terms of SEO.
- Generally you would see that most of the webmaster recommends using “Main keyword” in H1, H2 and H3 tags. However I would say that Search engines are smarter now days and they would be able to figure out which one has real values and which is spammy.
- Hence my advice to you is that not to overdo it, Use SEOPressor plugin to perform an over-optimization check
- Use of H1 tags: Title of your post is a H1 tag. A post should have only one title tag as far as SEO is concerned. Using more than One H1 tag is not recommended.
- Use of H2 tags: You can have more than one H2 tag in your post. However don’t use your keyword for all H2 headings, instead use the keyword in 1-2 H2 tags .The post should look natural.
- Use of H3 tags: The usage guidelines are same as mentioned above for H2 tags.
- Use of H4, H5 and H6 tags: Rarely used. As far as I know no extra benefits of using keywords in such tags or headers.
- The words in each Heading tag should be unique and targeted to the page they’re on. Unique and targeted means that your Heading tag’s content shouldn’t be duplicated anywhere across the site.
- When assigning Heading tags, keep them in sequence in the HTML, which is how the search engines can most easily read them.
PLACE KEYWORDS IN YOUR HEADING TAGS :
When you’re structuring the HTML coding for a Web page, it can look a little like an outline, with main headings and subheadings. For best SEO results, it is important to place keywords in those headings, within Heading tags.
- You want to avoid thinking of headings as simply formatting for your pages: Headings carry a lot of weight with the search engines because they’re for categorization, not cosmetics.
- You can control what each heading looks like consistently through your site using a CSS style sheet that specifies the font, size, color, and other attributes for each Heading tag.
- Search engines pay special attention to the words in your headings because they expect headings to include clues to the page’s main topics. You definitely want to include the page’s keywords inside Heading tags.
- You should follow several SEO best practices for applying Heading tags. First, you want to have only one H1 tag per page because it’s basically the subject of your page.
- Think of your H1 tag like the headline of a newspaper article: it wouldn’t make sense to have more than one.You can have multiple lesser tags if the page covers several subsections.
That’s all I have for this topic “Best practices to use header tags for better SEO”. Let me know if you have any doubt.
Related Posts :
- What are Header Tags in SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
- How to optimize Heading tags for Better SEO
- 16 Do’s and Don’ts of Writing Header Tags for SEO
- Why Heading Tags are important in SEO